touring Portugal with a culinary expert
A delectable culinary adventure touring Portugal with culinary expert, food writer and cookery book author Nellie Kerrison. Nellie is the founder of Melbourne’s premiere cookery school Relish Mama.
Explore the alleyways and stairways of Porto and its Port Lodges, sail along the green heart of the Douro River Valley and discover the Alentejo region, Portugal’s gastronomic heartland. You will love this immensely fun chef’s tour disc overing the natural beauty of Portugal, meeting delightful foodie heroes, wine makers and discovering the traditions, delicious dishes and wines. This luxury culinary tour visits the vibrant historic cities of Porto, Coimbra and Evora, perfectly contrasted against the green beauty of the Douro river valley and the golden hills and cork forests of the Alentejo.
Portugal is a delightful country on the Atlantic seaboard, famous for great explorers and once center of a trading Empire spanning Brazil to China. Highlights of the tour include cooking lessons with two famous Portuguese chefs in their restaurants, a cookery lesson in a Port Lodge, visits to a cork farm estate and Alentejo cattle and pig ranch, the discovery of local markets and ‘tasca’ eateries in Coimbra and a selection of the country’s leading wineries.
You can participate in three fun and varied cooking lessons, each with a different Portuguese chef in a contrasting venue. In the Douro River Valley, enjoy a cooking demonstration in a Port estate preparing and matching dishes to the Port Wines. Enjoy a hands on cooking lesson with Tony Martins and Masterchef Hélio Loureiro one of Portugal’s most distinguished and decorated chefs, well known in Portugal for his television work and cookery books. Lastly in Evora join local chef and cookery book author António Nobre who has an outstanding talent for perfecting dishes through the judicious use of herbs.
If you are looking to arrange a trip away be it for a party of 2 or 200, please call +44 (0)20 8874 3490
- 8 nights at unique luxury heritage hotels in Porto, Santa Cruz do Douro and Evora
- Enjoy dinner at chef Rui Paula’s Michelin starred restaurant overlooking the Atlantic at the beautiful Boa Nova Tea House
- Take a heritage tour of Porto with expert private guide to discover the historic centre and Ribeira districts
- Visit a Port Lodge in Vila Nova de Gaia for an unforgettable private reception
- Take a private luxury cruise on the Douro River and visit a leading Port estate
- Cook with Portuguese celebrity chef Hélio Loureiro to discover the foundation of Portuguese cooking
- Explore the markets and tascas (local eateries) in the University City of Coimbra
- See the beautiful wine estate of Monte da Ravasqueira
- Take a heritage tour of Evora with expert private guide to discover its Royal Palaces, the ancient Roman temple and the Chapel of bones
- Visit the stunning hilltop town of Monsaraz above the Alqueva reservoir, the largest man made reservoir in Western Europe
- Cook with professional chef Antonio Nobre, one of the leading lights of Alentejo cookery
- Enjoy a landrover safari at the Portugese ranch of Malhadinha Nova which rears Alentejana cattle and Alentejo Black Pig
- Services of Tastes of Portugal host
- Services of Culinary expert Nellie Kerrison